Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You do that?

My mom is flying right now. She's on her way to Boston and we can't wait to see her. Philip is out of town for a couple of days and I've busied myself with trying to make our house pleasant for her stay. Many times when she's come to visit me over the years, she's helped me "get organized". I want to be organized when she gets here so that we can enjoy each other in other non-organizing ways.

Mom and I are also planning on sleeping together in the same bed.

She's worried I'll "scream and kick". True, I talk in my sleep quite a lot and often I say very unfriendly things. Most nights I growl at Phil. Then there’s the time my freshman year of college when Ha let her alarm go off for 20 minutes and then snoozed it for another hour...I told her, "Ha, I'm going to get an ax and chop that alarm and if it doesn't stop I'm going to chop on you a little." Then there’s the summer I was living with a bunch of Christians and doing service work and didn't get my daily swearing quota. Apparently, in my sleep I mainly just said, "Shit, fuck, damn," all the time and horrified my roommates. Or the time I was watching "West Side Story" with some friends and fell asleep, only to rise up suddenly chanting, "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay" at a rapid pace. One of Phil's earliest memories of me was when he went into my room to drop off a book he'd borrowed and I started speaking in tongues to him, “Yakalakwakeebbiejeebieweeeewooo.” He was sure that I was imbalanced somehow. So, it is true that I talk (or scream as that case may be) in my sleep. But kick? I stopped doing that at about age 12.

She's also worried that she'll snore. In the next sentence she'll deny that she snores, but if you've slept anywhere within a five block radius of where Mom's sleeping, you'll know the truth.

I’m not worried about it. I think I’ll sleep just fine with Mom.


This morning Phil says, "So, where is your mom going to sleep?"

"With me. In our bed."

"You do that?" he questioned. I do that? As if it is a practice that I engage in regularly.

Sheepishly I said, "Not regularly, but I'm willing to give it a go."

"Wow," he said, "I haven't slept in the same bed with my mom or dad since I was like 12."

So now I am left wondering...do we do that? Can we do that?

The thing is I still haven't caught a mouse, so we kind of have to sleep in the same bed. For safety.

No comments: