Sunday, July 03, 2005

Vacation: Skelding Style


Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Aretha

I have learned a lot of lessons from my husband and by extension my in-laws. But I have always been suspicious of one of Phil's vacation values: vacation to the MAX. Is that really vacationing?

Well, I just spent 5 days on a jam-packed, activity vacation in the White Mountains and it felt like vacation. I relaxed. I enjoyed nature. I did not feel pressure or rushed. I biked, cannoed, opted to read for an afternoon, slept a ton, swam with the kids, played in the river, ran, worked out in the gym, climbed through a bunch of caves, rode a gondola to the top of a mountain, ate some fabulous meals, got robbed when Rick and I faced off with Phil and his mom in a game of Catch Phrase, had some good talks with the grown ups, played with the kids, and didn't blog once.

So, I guess you can do a bunch of stuff and relax. This does not mean I am not abandoning one of my vacation values: vacation is slowing down and not having to do stuff. It is relaxing. But like most of marriage, we are blending and I am learning.

No comments: