Friday, August 05, 2005

Don't Worry, Sweet Thing

(In the van after a long swim)

SUMNER: Mom.

ME: Yes, Sumner.

SUMNER: If I ever get cut badly...(long pause)...and I need a mechanical arm or leg, will you put it on for me when I am asleep?

ME: Yes, Sumner.

He's worried about these sorts of things. We all worry too much and he's getting going at age six. On vacation last week in Oregon, I told Ramona (who promptly told my mom) that my mother was afraid of everything and so she didn't need to worry about all of the things Grannabelle was very dramatically warning her off of. I don't want me kids to worry so much. Yet, I worry like crazy. I lay awake worrying about being awake and what I should do with my life and if the kids have good nutrition and if October will be a good month. We all worry too much.

All six-year-old Sumner needed was the reassurance that IF he loses a limb, will I make sure putting on the new one doesn't hurt and to insure this, will I put it on when he is unconscious. And I can say, "Yes, Sumner." It will be okay, if this "if" scenario comes to pass. That's all we need to be told, it will be okay if you "if" happens.

No comments: