Friday, August 04, 2006

Me in French

Ramona wanted to move here because she could learn French and French is fancy.

I shudder when I hear or have to say a word that is even remotely French. When people say things that have a French pronunciation I am at a total loss. Someone was telling me about a person with the last name DeJean. I wrote on my paper "DeJone" and then thought: oh, no, it must be like the mustard.

These little French somersaults have been happening in my head all week. I get very confused.

We know a guy with a French name and I call him "Jaw". That's not how you say it (or spell)...in French.

Today, at the end of the day, I had the most embarrassing moment yet. I was writing a guy's last name down. I had seen his name on a list several times that day and even typed it. It was "Richard", I thought. But I thought I'd better check if it was Richards. Richard or Richards? Like a bunch of Ricks or Dicks running around. "No 's'," he says with a smile, "It is Ree-shard."

I am going to have to go to speech therapy.

1 comment:

ak said...

I'll go through the phone book with you. :)