Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Bottomless Pit

Phil has a call month this month. He's working 80+ hours a week. I have the end of the first quarter, Spirit week, and a Homecoming dance to pull off. The grandparents are in Spain. We're making out okay, but...

Needless to say, issues of work-family balance (or a total lack thereof) are surfacing. They are taking a toll. We both feel that we are doing more than the other parent. The truth is that neither of us is a martyr, we're just doing too many things. So, Phil's a little intense about little things and impatient. I need to cry a few more times a day than I usually do.

Lots of crying can wear a man out. Today I asked him to "listen to me [cry] more." He said he couldn't--he's not a bottomless pit--it wears him out. I laughed. I told him that he was not where near a bottomless pit. He's a ditch. He just absorbs a little bit of the overflow.

No comments: