Thursday, February 28, 2008

At Home

When I lived in NYC I ate lots of take-out and it seemed normal. After living in Phoenix for a while having a tan and spending a lot of time in malls seemed like a good idea. In Oakland I was the second one of the parents in our parents' group to ween my baby (at 18 months), I felt like an outsider because Sumner slept in a crib, and Phil was one of three stay-at-home dads who's wives and I worked together. In Boston, I felt self-conscious that my winter coat wasn't big and puffy (until I bought a new one).

So what next? I think of this stop as much more than a layover. We are within spitting distance of the two year mark. I've always said that it takes two years for a place to be home.

Here's what's happened so far:

I no longer feel like giggling when I say that I am going to the Winn Dixie.

I feel naked if my toenails aren't painted (even when I have shoes on).

I always wear earrings.

I wear ironed clothing. Often.

Costuming is a verb.

50 degrees outside is very chilly.

15 minutes is a commute.

Recycling is no longer reflexive--it is a disciplined project.

I think of summer as a rainy season full of indoor activities.

Basementless houses are no longer an oddity to me.

Popeye's isn't a treat.

Seeing rotting, flooded houses with overgrown yards everyday no longer gets me in the gut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the ironing. and the nail polish. but more the ironing, i cant believe. you told me your family didn't own an iron in oregon. (which gave me permission to go to work in wrinkled clothes)
aarti