Sunday, October 16, 2005

Readers

In his first year teaching, an old boyfriend of my roommate once told my mom, "I used to read, before I started teaching."

I want to read too. I want to read a couple of books a week. I think reading is a good thing. I love reading a thought that is new or one that I have been trying to articulate for a long time or one the rings true or one that makes me go "eww". I do believe that reading, if you choose wisely to read things that are diverse, stretches you and gives you a circle of ideas that you may not be able to access in your social circle. See, reading is a good thing.

The thing is, I watch TV. The reason is my mind is always buzzing. All day long, everyday, I am thinking, making connections, and rethinking. Sometimes it can be almost manic. If I read, my mind continues to buzz. It doesn't still itself. I continue to make connections with myself. When I watch TV I can finally push pause and now think. I need that. So I tell myself.

The other thing is, I am also just too tired to read. If I get into bed and read, I am lucky if I make it three pages. But I need time to chill. If I don't chill, I can't rest. I can sleep, but it isn't quite as restful.

So I am going to push myself to start reading more than three pages a day (not including school reading and the newspaper) and see if I can also allow myself to watch TV.

I'll update the blog later on how its going and what I am reading.

No comments: