Saturday, September 23, 2006

Even My Ears are Oily

I have never had a skin problem. Well, I thought I had had skin problems. In high school and college I would occassionally get a big red, unpoppable zit on my nose. They were awful, but I only got about one a year, so who cares?

Well, down here I have become an oily person. Go figure. And oil leads to zits--lots of little ones on my forehead.

When Aarti, a Louisiana native, was here taking care of our family a few weeks ago, just after she interrogated Phil about two giant zits on his neck and head, she gave me some kindly advice, "Wash you face." She had to clarify that I needed to wash my face outside of my every other day shower. I thought: I can handle that. Then she went on, "When you get up, when you come home from work, when you go to bed." That's a lot of Purpose soap.

Well, this morning I missed my morning wash. Phil slept in. As he was making his way out of bed, he glanced over at me and said, "What have we here?" Assuming he was going to mock my french braid or pick on the coach shorts I like to wear around the house, I was half-ignoring him. He got real close to my ear and stuck his finger in it as if it was a cotton swab, "These are really greasy."

I got out some rubbing alcohol and took care of that. But how am I to keep up with this new layer of slim that is covering my body several times a day.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi Emily;

Heard this story on NPR this morning and thought of you:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6168854

I hope everything is going well. Say hi to Sumner and Ramona.

Kathy Cahill