Sunday, September 10, 2006

Working Mom/Working Dad


This has been a huge adjustment for all of us. This is the longest I have gone without blogging. Ever. I know that I have received emails from those in withdrawal. The blog will not die. I did not die. My family will not die. We’re just adjusting and there hasn’t been time to blog.

My brown cords have been replaced with a wool herringbone skirt, 7:30 wake ups have been replaced by 7:30 drop offs, and my midday tea has been replaced with a diet coke. I just bought a kettle for my office to remedy the tea problem.

Phil is doing a good amount of adjusting himself. Thankfully his August and September schedules have been on the light side of things and he’s been able to pick up a little slack. He also has been doing some of the things I usually do around here. That has led him to say some of the things that I usually say around here.

This weekend he did the laundry and loaded the dishwasher a couple of times. At one point he said to me, “I’ve done a lot of tidying this weekend. Really, I have. Aren’t you impressed?” And I was. And he needed affirmation for his hard work, as I often do when I do that stuff.

When I was putting away my clean laundry I found a dainty shirt that had been ironed, folded and wrinkling up by the second at the bottom of my clothing pile. Appalled I stormed off to show Phil what a BIG mistake he’d made. He said, “I did all of the laundry and I make ONE mistake and that’s all I hear about.” I say that to him when he complains.

I got a message this morning on my machine that sounded a lot like me. Phil called to tell me that Sumner was resistant to being dropped off and he isn’t sure that the preschool Ramona’s at is good enough (it’s never going to be the Coop) and he was late to work (AGAIN) and he was really stressed out by the whole thing. I’ve left that same message (except in mine I am always crying) on Phil’s phone 100 times in the last 4 years. It is strange to hear an echo.


No comments: