Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mr. Rogers vs. Everyone Else

Ramona made some puppets, Neighborhood of Make Believe Puppets. I printed up from the internet cutouts of King Friday and Queen Sarah (where I now think Ramona's name change originated) and Prince Tuesday and the rest of Mr. Roger's gang. She colored them and cut them out and taped them on the end of markers. Then she began a puppet show for me while I cooked dinner from behind the other side of the kitchen island. It went something like this:

Daniel Striped Tiger: Hello, Henrietta Pussycat.

Henrietta: Hello, I am meow going to poop on you meow.

Daniel: I am going to poop on you too.

ME: Ramona, I don't think Mr. Rogers talks like that.

Ramona (who's purple glasses broke the wall between audience and performer and were just barely peeking over the edge of the counter with the puppets flanking her in each hand): No, Mom, he doesn't. But everyone else does.

Everybody else! If only I could keep her locked up in a world of Mr. Rogers. I guess that would be the Mommy's Neighborhood of Make Believe.

No comments: