Thursday, June 15, 2006

Welcome to the Third World

My mom was here in New Orleans to help us get settled and I think to settle herself a little bit more with the idea of us living here. One of the first days she was here she said that New Orleans reminded her of Ecuador, where Jake and Miranda and their boys lived. She said that it was hot, like Ecuador and the people were SO friendly. And there is the poverty, the potholes, the poorly maintained and crumbling buildings, and pitiable schools and social services. At first, I told here that comparing New Orleans to a third world country may not go over with the natives. That night, Marlow, an Oregonian living here, reminded me that there are t-shirts and bumper stickers that say, “Third world and proud.”

Why are people proud?

I think maybe they (soon to be me?) are proud of the friendliness of the city and feel like they don’t need perfect streets and buildings because they have good food and music and lots of people have access to that. I’m not so sure I agree. But there is some sort of pride in it.

I then tried to tell my mom that maybe it wouldn’t offend anyone...I dunno the answer yet.

But things certainly don’t seem to run quite as smoothly as in other parts of the U.S. We ordered the paper. It was supposed to start the next day. It started a week later. Many people don’t use email (business and the like) and so I have been using the phone to contact people much more. It took 10 days to get our internet up and working. The library system has laid-off 90% of its staff. Phil and I keep asking ourselves: Is this a post-flood thing or is it a Louisiana thing? We’re not sure. It is both.

Imagine if it wasn’t the paper you were waiting for, but a rental subsidy or word on when or if you could return to your home.

I did a little google-study of the term “third world”. I guess it isn’t PC any more. Less Developed Countries (LDC) is now the proper term in some circles. There does not seem to be one specific indicator that puts countries in the LDC column, but one definition indicated that it has to do with a lack of infrastructure and a large amount of poverty.

According to the census Louisiana does have nearly the highest rate of poverty in the USA, 17%. Wow. That number’s a couple years old and I am sure that post-flood it is higher. Click here to check out your state in comparison.

The National Guard was just called in because there has been a rise in the per-capita murder rate, especially in the last few weeks. The NOPD can’t quite handle it—they’re stretched. I think that 17% is hot and homeless and hungry and angry and killing each other.

What can we do? We’re getting to work in the next month or so. Please pray for this city. Or send some money to after school programs and churches and community organizations that keep kids off the street. Or keep us on the minds of your friends. OR email your congress people. Make sure they’ve visited here. Urge them to.

We’re really not in the third world. I think a trip to Zambia would prove that. But I sure see a lot of work to be done.

No comments: