Sunday, November 13, 2005

I miss my mommy! (and daddy)

The Obvious Child by Paul Simon is playing.

My parents are out of the country from November 4th to November 20th and as quick-math Sumner said right away when he heard their travel dates, "That's 16 days!" GASP.

Unlike Philip and his parents, I do not have a standing, sacred day and time of the week when I generally talk to my parents. It is about once a month (if that) that my mom and I really taaalk, as in talk for more than 15 minutes. But we talk all the time, often when I am on the go, in between a pick up here and a drop off there. I talk to her for about 5 to 10 minutes every other day, at least. Sometimes I talk to her a couple of times in one day. The thing is, she's there. I think she genuinely likes talking to me and being bothered by me. I really like these little check-in chats. I didn't really know how much I appreciate them until she left the country.

You see, my mom has always been very present for me. She was there for me when I came home from school and she was there for me when I broke up with my first boyfriend. She has also been there when I needed help buying a home and when I needed a babysitter for the first week I went back to graduate school. She is really good at supporting me. I really like crying on her shoulder and calling her to tell her funny things that the kids told me. After Philip, she and Dad are the first people I like to share my victories with. Isn’t it great to have family that you don’t have to be modest with?

Talking to my mom is a little like looking in a mirror. The most ridiculous things she says are often things I too believe, but coming from her end of the phone they sound just outrageous. I need her to keep my crazy gene in check. We both tell each other to take better care of ourselves. I am/she is very concerned that she is/I am working too hard and not pausing to take care of herself/myself. We're both right.

Usually when she's unreachable, I can call on my dad. He tries his best and listens and gives some good advice too. He is another mirror into other parts of me. He sounds just as insane as my mother does when he says things that I say and think. But he's gone too.

I really miss them.

No comments: