Sunday, November 20, 2005

Skinned Knees

On Friday Ramona fell a lot. She fell down a couple stairs on our way out the door in the morning, she nearly fell on the stairs leading down to her school, she reported that she got bumped twice at school, and after school, as she and I were on our way into a store, she fell while running. On the move, I scooped her up and keep walking, while trying to comfort her with kisses and a soft voice. My hurry, my clogs, and a step leading into the store got in our way and the both of us tumbled once more.

It was really awful. She cried, I wanted to cry, and I skinned my knees. Both of them. I got a hold of myself, picked Ramona up again, and teetered into the store. The people working there got us a pile of bandaids and a wet paper towel. I put the bandaids on Ramona's owies, which didn't really need them. Then, without checking my knees, I gave the people in the store their bandaids back.

I was thinking and moving too fast. This is one of my worst faults and I have a hard time putting on the breaks when I am speeding. I am getting better at slwoing down and have been practicing going the speed limit, but when a body is in motion, it stays in motion--right? The thing is that when I go the speed limit, people pass by me and I feel like it is going to take soooo loooong to get where I'm going. And then there's the true facts that sometimes you need to speed and sometimes it is okay to speed. But most of the time it is not okay to speed. As I have learned time and time again, I eventually crash when I speed.

So I stopped. I sat with Ramona and tried not to think about other things. I tried to just listen to her cry and calm her down. This calmed me down some. Then I felt that my knees were wet with blood, so I pulled up my pant legs and Ramona and I saw that I was oozing some. We got the bandaids back and fixed me up good. Then we did our business and went on our way.

I just want to slow down.

No comments: