Saturday, September 03, 2005

Little Outpourings

About 15-20 people have offered housing to my in-laws while they are in Boston. Thanks.

My friend Molly emailed me and told me she was making a blackberry crisp, which Phil really likes, and was wondering if it was shippable from Colorado to Boston.

A guy waiting on me in the Cingular phone shop told me that he thinks the government should just cut people checks of $1,000 and send them to new cities to start new lives. I couldn't help but think, wouldn't they use it for drugs or booze or Happy Meals instead of bus fares, new apartments, and cheaper food. While the judgmental policy maker in me was doing overtime in my imagination playing through the idea of a $1000 redo check, the historian in me broke in: Wouldn't 40 acres and a mule have helped 130 years ago? Would we be here if the right thing was done back then?

At bedtime, Ramona usually prays each night for five things she is thankful for. This week she just wants to pray for "everybody’s' flooded houses".

I don't usually see people in t-shirts from Louisiana in the Bay State. Yesterday in the drug store, on the street, and while I was on a run this morning, I saw people dressed in support of those displaced folks from New Orleans and those still stuck there. Every shirt anyone ever bought on a tourist trip to New Orleans seem to be out of their basement storage box and on people's backs.

Finally, you gotta follow this link and hear this song. Once, when Phil and I were in college, he put a jazzy instrumental version of "Oh, When the Saints" on his voice mail. One day, his grandmother called and left a message on his phone singing (with her German accent) the first few lines of the song. We played it over and over. I heard this version yesterday. In the lead into the song, a New Orleans jazz funeral historian said he is thinking of those who have died from New Orleans and are now marching into heaven. I also am thinking of the help we pray is marching into New Orleans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good God Emily,
I have tears pouring down my face at this very moment. I am absorbing so many things from your blog, first that the word stupid will come out of your mouth more than once and if that's all that comes out, you are a far better parent than me. Second, we are freakishly connected in that twisted,family way.... Every single TV show you listed would be on my top 10 list if I had one. Including Zoom, which Anna and I still enjoy watching.
I think we should e-mail all of "our age" (how do you like that I lump myself into your age group?) cousins and the like and see just how much we are all alike. Our nurotic tendencies, our Tv show likes our crazy lives and how we deal with them. And our kids, those amazing little creatures who seem to know that they are a part of something unique, it is truly mind boggling to me....
Enjoyed your blog, will check it again.
So pleased to hear your in-laws are safe, it is a tragedy.
Jolie