Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Today

Coconut Telegraph, Jimmy Buffet

School
's not so bad.

1. I had such low expectations for my class that I have been pleasantly surprised. It has two things going for it: all of the students are teachers and the professor is a teacher. Now you may say, isn't this a school of education? Aren't all of the students and professors teachers? It my experience this has not been so. Who can be a teacher and afford to go to Harvard? (Someone who’s family is rich or husband is going to be a doctor.) In fact, I have had a hard time finding the teachers at the Ed School. Many of the students at the Ed School want to get out of teaching or never taught and most of the professors are researchers who happen to teach. This professor taught for 25 years and happens to be a researcher. This is a class for teachers about teacher leadership. So, that's a good thing.

2. I love working at Sumner's school. Good parents, good teachers, and an excellent principal. I get to talk to people and connect them with one another and learn about them. That's all of my favorite stuff. Another good thing.

3. It is manageable, at least for now. I have been plagued with fears about managing my home and school life, as it has proved impossible in the past to manage. These last few weeks have been madness, but it is falling into place now. I am driving less. I have time for school and time for myself. I am writing a blog. Ramona and I made lemon bars for Sumner and I and banana muffins for all of us and a roast today. And working energizes me in a way that caring for people does not. A very good thing.

As usual my anticipation for what is to come is much more dramatic than the real thing. I am going to be able to do this thing. I've grown. I hope.

No comments: