Monday, June 20, 2005

Believing

No music is playing, but Phil is watching some English movie in the background.

Sumner is slowly starting to stop believing and start questioning.

The other day we were reading a book about forgiving. There was a reference to forgiving as Jesus forgave those who killed him. Sumner said, "I don't believe it. Why would you forgive someone for that?" There was a bit of awe in his question, but mainly practical, good sense. Why?

Today he showed his friend Nikhil a rock that he's had for a couple of years. He said, "I've had this for two years and it hasn't hatched yet." Then he caught himself. He said, "I used to think it was a dinosaur egg."

I still believe that I may be the president of the USA one day. And that Jesus did forgive his killers. And that that forgiveness is liberating. How can I encourage him to keep believing?

No comments: