Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Classy

What does the word classy mean? What do you need to have to be classy? I don't think I've quite got it down.

This morning I told Phil that last night there was nothing good on T.V. Usually, the next statement out of my mouth would be a description of the terrible, awful show I watched (until the bitter end) when I should have been doing something else. I told him that I turned off the T.V. and listened to classical music while I folded our laundry. Of course, this was a boldface lie.

I fessed up (I watched "You're Fired" and some sort of real life mystery-documentary) and this somehow led to a conversation about classiness. I know my mom is reading this and thinking: Emily, you are classy. What are you saying? Why do you question this? Mom, I go to the bathroom with the door open. That's not so classy. I plop down into a chair, instead of sit nicely, as you do. I dunno, the grace thing just kind of passed over me. And the classy thing did too.

But is it a good thing to be classy? I mean class is the root of the word. Are you are classist if you are classy. No way. Can't be true. Please weigh in.

What is class? Who has it? Is it a good thing?

Not classy:

bad TV: CSI
clutter
kitsch
forgetting to pluck mustache or unibrow
leaving your dishes undone
forgetting to return calls
being too blunt
trendy colors
donuts (spelled that way)

Classy:

Mystery on PBS
clean line
expensive plain things wit no personal meaning/history
waxing
neat and tidy
timely thank you notes
reserve
navy blue
croissants

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classy:

Caring deeply about people and them really feeling it
Dedication to what you are doing (and even classier and what you're usually doing that it helps people)

Anonymous said...

Classy:

Caring deeply about people and them really feeling it
Dedication to what you are doing (and even classier and what you're usually doing that it helps people)

Not classy: Eating ice cream out of the container (which I'm doing as I write this) - but if it is not in public, does it make it less classy? (if a tree falls in a forest...)