Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Homonyms

A Day In The Life, Beatles

First Sumner asked what the name was for those pancakes that you roll up with jam, "I keep forgetting the name."

"Crepes," I told him, thinking that I cannot remember him ever forgetting the name of anything.

"Can we have them for dinner?"

"Not with jam, but I could make them with ham and cheese."

"I want them with jam."

"You'll like them with ham." As if I know what he is going to like.

Then he asked me why bat and bat, two words that mean different things are spelled the same way. I told him that there are alot of words that sound the same, but mean different things and that some of them are also spelled the same way, but some just sound alike. He was tracking with me, even if you're not. I gave him the example of two, to, and too and used each one in context.

"Like but and butt," he told me without a smirk.

"Yes. Or like..."

"Ball and ball."

"What are the two types of balls?" I asked, as if I need an education.

"You know, the ball you kick or throw and the ball for the olden times."

"Olden times?"

"Like the ball that Cinderella goes to."

Ah, yes, those balls. What was I thinking?

No comments: