Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Mind of a Blogger

I thought of about 8 things to write about for today and then I realized that I needed to write about that. Blogging is changing the way I think and experience things. It is a little weird. When I played tetris in college, I could see the pieces falling when I shut my eyes to go to sleep. When Sumner, at age four, was making Thomas the Tank engine wooden tracks everyday, I found myself daydreaming about ways to lay out the track so that all of the pieces could be used. Now that I have started blogging, each thing that happens to me seems to be a possible blog.

When something just a little bit noteworthy happens to me, I start retelling it to myself with a David Sedaris-Seinfeld-Anne Lamont twist. A little philosophizing + a little hyperbole with a little bit of my past mixed in. Things that happen each day all of a sudden seem to be possible stories and possible chances to put out my two bits of my world views.

Take for instance today: Sumner riding the school bus for the second time is a chance to discuss letting go of your child. Phil telling me “You’re not helping me here” allows me to write about the balance between supporting your spouse and drowning with them. Ramona asking me “Where is me going today?” reminds me how much she and I think alike. As I run, I start to think about the struggle of what to do when you past someone—smile, nod, say hello, stare ahead? When I feel (sort of) sick today, it gives me a chance to whine about the fact that mothers just can’t get sick! At dinner, when Sumner asks Phil about the island of Southern Georgia (near Antarctica), it gives me a chance to marvel at the reality that my six year old son knows a lot more about geography than I do and that he and Phil (and Ajay) think almost exactly alike.

No comments: